Pages

5.22.2014

Healthy Chocolate Snowballs

I shared this treat with one of my neighbors last week, who asked me for the recipe. And then I went to the dentist this week and as I was chatting with the dental hygienists the topic of healthy foods came up and I told them about this delicious "sugar-free" treat. So, I figure it's time to add to this blog despite my nearly 2-year break from blogging to share this delicious treat with the world (that I really can't take credit for).

I tried this recipe for the first time at a "healthy" cooking class taught by a woman named Ruth Holmes. She called this treat "No Bake Cookies (Coconut)." When she shared this recipe, I knew it would be a keeper! The only change I've made to the initial recipe is using coconut oil in place of coconut butter (since coconut butter is no longer sold at my local health food store, but can be found online) and rolling them in finely grated coconut. This has become our family treat we keep in the freezer year around... and the treat of choice to leave for Santa on Christmas Eve, which is when our family started calling these little treats "Chocolate Snowballs."


Chocolate Snowballs

2 cups coconut, finely shredded (unsweetened) - Bag from health food store, can be found in bulk, too.
1 1/2 cup maple syrup - Use real maple syrup, this can be found at Costco.
1 cup rolled oats
3/4 cup almond flour - Bulk section of health food store, my local Costco just started carrying this, too.
3/4 cup cocoa powder
1/2 cup coconut oil - I buy mine at Costco.
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon salt

Mix all ingredients in a bowl and stir together well. The oatmeal needs to have a few minutes to soak up the maple syrup before you test it to see if all amounts of ingredients are balanced. Roll into teaspoon size balls and coat with coconut. Place in freezer on wax paper lined cookie sheet until hardened (about an hour). Place in tightly sealed container in freezer until ready to eat. Enjoy!





No comments:

Post a Comment